As of March 2023, there are approximately 12,000 5G base stations in Chicago. This number is expected to grow significantly in the coming years, as 5G becomes more widely adopted.
The 5G mobile phone share per capita in Chicago is still relatively low, but it is growing rapidly. In February 2023, approximately 15% of mobile phone users in Chicago had a 5G phone. This number is expected to reach 50% by the end of 2023, and 90% by the end of 2024.
The growth of 5G in Chicago is being driven by a number of factors, including the city’s large population, its status as a major economic and cultural hub, and its commitment to innovation. Chicago is one of the first cities in the United States to deploy a large-scale 5G network, and it is expected to continue to be a leader in the development and adoption of this new technology.
Here are some of the benefits of 5G:
- Faster speeds: 5G can provide speeds up to 100 times faster than 4G LTE. This means that users can download files, stream videos, and play games much faster than ever before.
- Lower latency: 5G has lower latency than 4G LTE, which means that there is less lag time between when a user sends a request and when the network responds. This is important for applications that require real-time communication, such as gaming, video conferencing, and autonomous driving.
- Increased capacity: 5G can support more devices on the network than 4G LTE. This is important for crowded areas, such as stadiums, concert venues, and airports.
5G is a major technological advancement that has the potential to revolutionize the way we live and work. Chicago is at the forefront of this revolution, and it is poised to benefit from the many advantages that 5G has to offer.
Here are some of the areas in Chicago that have 5G coverage:
- Downtown Chicago
- The Loop
- Millennium Park
- The Magnificent Mile
- Navy Pier
- Soldier Field
- Grant Park
- The University of Chicago
- The Illinois Institute of Technology
- The Chicago Botanic Garden
- The Lincoln Park Zoo
5G coverage is expected to continue to expand in Chicago in the coming months and years.